Meet Candice Dorman
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Humanities Stellenbosch University
My nomination as Elle Magazine Girl Boss of the Year was largely based on having raised over one million rand as 1 of 12 Executives for Reach Out & Give, supporting Kayamandi, a township in Stellenbosch as well as introducing the LIVE BELOW THE LINE CHALLENGE to South Africa.
Because of this I have given birth to an initiative called THE BIGGER PICTURE: A Humanitarian Effort. My initiative THE BIGGER PICTURE: A Humanitarian Effort has formed a charitable alignment with THE BIG ISSUE in support of vendors.
THE BIGGER PICTURE: A Humanitarian Effort and my humanitarian photographs are recognised by Jasin Boland. The Elle Magazine Girl Boss of the Year nomination was given by Jasin Boland who is one of Hollywood’s most sought after photographers and has worked with Charlize Theron and many other celebrities. https://web.facebook.com/AHumanitarianEffort/
(One particular image titled BENEATH THE COPPER SUN is inspired by the Johnny Clegg song Scatterlings of Africa.)
The Big Issue and my charitable efforts in terms of sponsorships and female empowerment has been successful thus far.
- Oggi Activewear was kind enough to offer complimentary swimwear to 15 children of the vendors.
- A boat ride upon the Jolly Rodger pirate ship at the V&A Waterfront for the children of the vendors.
- Reydiant beauty has offered a baby pampering hamper to a female vendor with a newborn baby.
- The Stillness Manor & Spa in the Constantia Valley has bestowed a complimentary spa day to a vendor recovering from cancer.
- A complimentary spa day at the Life Day Spa for a female vendor showing promise.
- Honey Fashion Accessories has donated jewellery and fashion accessories to the teenage daughters of the vendors as mother/daughter gift sets.
- Complimentary monthly yoga classes at a community hall for the vendors by Romy.
- Fynbos Estate has bestowed a complimentary stay to the female vendors to the value of R12 000
I can only begin to imagine what could be done given more opportunity and support during the course of 2018
My dream is to collect corporate sponsorships to build and sustain a homeless shelter for these vendors in 2019 as well as auction my images and create a vendor trust in association with The Big Issue.