This Mill was once part of the large Welgelegen Estate owned by Jacob van Reenen and by 1794 by his son Gysbert. Under the Dutch, private mills were not allowed thus it is believed that Gysbert had the corn mill built to produce flour for personal use only. He farmed there for thirty years and after his death the estate was bought by his son in law Sybrand Jacobus Mostert who had married Johanna van Reenen in 1818. By 1873 the mill had stopped working and the land was sold by the Mostert family in1889. It fell into disrepair but in 1936 it was restored. Unfortunately it did not stay in good repair and has been restored in the 1980s and again in 1995. On occasion flour is ground and sold to visitors. A Friends of Mostert’s Mill was formed in 1993.
The mill can be seen easily from the M3 highway, in fact it is just opposite the upper campus of the University of Cape Town.